Saturday, January 7, 2012

Words

As a mom, I am often aware of the words used around my children.  All of a sudden I would hear each and every word that I hoped my children would never say.  The 3 times they say "stupid" in Toy Story or the lady on her cell phone in Target not realizing that her profanity is surely being absorbed by my 4 year old's little ears.  And then sometimes I know that I myself am not choosing my words wisely because they get repeated back to me and hearing them out of little mouths make those words sound even worse.  Like when I was frustrated with Papa Bear for something that I can't even remember now and must have called him a jerk when venting on the phone to my friend because as soon as Papa Bear walked in the door, Little Man piped up "Papa, are you a jerk?".  But recently I have heard my words come out of the little mouths around me in such a sweet and endearing way that I know I am, at least some of the time, choosing the right words for little ears.

Little Man came up to me and climbed onto my lap and whispered to me the sweetest words.  "Mama, I love you so much I don't even know what to do about it."  I squeezed him tightly and told him that I knew exactly how he felt.  He smiled and said "I know Mama, you tell me that all the time."  I don't remember saying it.  But I remember feeling it and I love that he feels it too and can even verbalize it.

Peanut was busily making cakes and snacks in his play kitchen to share and as he walked towards me with his plate of cakes I pretended to be excited and asked him if they were all for me.   He said "No Mama, these are all for Papa."  My lip curled down in feigned sadness and his little brow furrowed.  He came and put his pudgy and not so clean hands on my cheeks and solemnly said "Don't worry Mama, Jackson has some for you".  I love his "don't worries" that he communicates in such a concerned and convincing way since those are the words I use most often to him when he can't get his words out and I am telling him not to worry, we will figure it out.

Sweet Pea is starting to imitate words that she hears.  Last night I was herding the kids to bed and told everyone to go upstairs.  Then I hear the sweet sound of her voice exclaiming "upstairs, upstairs, upstairs".  Love it.  So when I told all of the kids to get ready to go this morning on some errands I was a little bit surprised to hear her say (an approximation of) "Lock and Load" the words that I use to get the kids out the door and in the car.  Love.  That is all I can say.  Love.

(I am still trying to get a year in review for 2011 ready and hoping to post soon)




No comments:

Post a Comment