Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hello Beach

We hadn't been at the beach for more than 5 minutes before we dove right into our first adventure.  Literally.

It was 1:30, the kids had done great in the car but they were done.  I was done.  The rental company told us it would be another 30 minutes before they could turn the keys over.  30 minutes isn't too long to wait but waiting just wasn't an option.  I have never been great at waiting. Papa Bear is wonderful at indulging my inability to wait with a shrug and a quick laugh.

So we drove down to the beach road, parked illegally in a tow away zone, jumped out of the car, dashed across a very busy road, interrupted a wedding rehearsal and ran down to the water.  We couldn't be stopped.  Papa Bear was in jeans and a polo, the kids and I were fully dressed and we all just went in.  Digging our toes into the sand, doing cartwheels in the water, gazing out at the waves and laughing out loud at the sheer absurdity of spending 20 minutes at the water's edge because we just couldn't wait.  

Little Man has lost all fear of the ocean.  He was charging the waves and laughing when they tumbled him.  I couldn't believe it.  I was standing there watching him taunt the waves, daring them to knock him down and I felt like it was just yesterday when he was terrified of the ocean and we had to be careful how we talked about the water coming up the shore.  He has grown, matured.  I blinked.

Peanut is a little more cautious than he has been in the past.  I am thanking God for that one.  In the past he would have walked into the water and just kept going until it swallowed him up.  He was knocked down in the first 5 minutes while fully clothed and after that he proceeded with caution, but fun caution.  Watching him hold Little Man's hand while they chased the waves was a moment that I will savor forever.

Sweet Pea was and is not sure how she feels about the big bad ocean.  She prefers to walk the shore line chasing birds, dogs or anything that moves.  She clings to my neck in the water but I am not sure if it is for show or for real.  Plus she had all of a 20 minute nap in the car today and otherwise was kicking and playing.

After our 20 minute adventure, we raced to the car, stripped the kids down and retrieved our keys.  We made it to the beach house and rushed to get into our suits to find the sand again.  Spending another hour and a half playing, splashing and laughing before heading back to find food and start unpacking.

The boys were asleep in the bunk bed before 7:30 and Sweet Pea found dreamland quickly.  The sun is setting, drinks are being poured, vacation is here.

(Pictures to come when I figure out how to get them off of my phone with spotty internet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment