Sunday, May 20, 2012

New York New York

I know that this blog is about my adventures with the kids but this weekend marked an important milestone for the family, it was my first adventure without the kids, ever.  It was everything that I needed in a weekend away.  I took the train up to NY on Friday morning and spent the majority of Friday walking around the city without any real destination, taking in the atmosphere and eating the best slice of pizza in the world.  Friday night was an experience in that I went to a benefit concert to see a friend perform.  Jessica Latshaw is as beautiful as she is talented and it was a joy to get to see her perform.  The highlights as I would list them would be exploring and navigating the city from Queens to the West Village with my friend, talking, walking, eating and exploring, then going to a special reserve seating at a restaurant where a chef prepared us a 5 course meal that was beyond amazing, and then accidentally running into Matthew Broderick on the street. 

Upon returning home, I was greeted by 3 little angels that were very happy to see me.  Little Man told me that even though he got to go to the Crab Shack, he still missed me a lot.  He asked me if I had a good time and when I informed him that I did have a very good time his very insightful response was "Did you have a good time because no one ate your breakfast?"  I laughed and told him that yes, part of the fun was that I got to eat all of my own breakfast.  He smiled and said, "I thought you would say that".  It's so true.  For 48 hours I could eat slowly and not share any of my food, I could go wherever I wanted whenever I wanted.  It was a heady feeling that I had long forgotten.  It was pure brilliance to sit in Central Park, listen to my music and read a book by myself.  It was rewarding to be able to sit in a diner at 3am talking with a great friend and knowing that there wouldn't be a small child bouncing me out of bed at 6am.  It was decadent to take small bites of a delicious meal and savor the experience.  There was no guilt to hurry home because I couldn't.  I was away and my babes were all in good hands with Papa Bear who took them to birthday parties, made them pancake breakfasts and let them play in the pool on the deck and apparently eat donuts (as Little Man informed me). 

It was good to be away.  It is great to be home.  What an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. oh Jamie! It was SUCH A BEUATIFUL time! I am so so so grateful you made the trip. And I am so glad you had some much-needed time to recharge and remember who the beautiful girl YOU are--not just the roles you fill SO MAGNIFICENTLY--but the person you are apart from everyone else who needs you and loves you so dearly.

    So glad I got to be a part of your adventure:) xo

    ReplyDelete