Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Apraxia Up's and Down's

Peanut is in a period of disorganization and regression.  This is not a bad thing.  Or at least that is what I try to keep repeating in my head as he melts down multiple times a day.  I know from experience that a period like this is always followed by a period of advancement.  I know from experience that this disorganization is his body's way of dealing with all of the new information that he is getting and that once it is all figured out, he will make a huge leap forward.  I know from experience that repeating all of these things to myself over and over again doesn't make it any easier to watch him go through this. 

The major signs of his disorganization are his desperate needs for sensory input.  He is mouthing again (chewing on his hands or anything he can get into his mouth) and constantly asking for his bite stick (chewy) which he bites really hard 10 times on each side of his mouth.  He tells me that he is cold which is Peanut speak for I need you to squeeze me and rub my back and sooth me with lots of touch.  Tonight at dinner time he spent the entire dinner time on my lap crying while I squeezed his arms, legs, and cheeks, rubbed his back and just tried to sooth him.  He is also mad a lot.  Just in general, he seems angry and frustrated all the time.  He is still speaking in long sentences but so many of the words have become unintelligible. 

I am trying to focus on the positive.  This is the first time that he has been in a period of disorganization where he could vocalize what he needs.  He will tell me he needs tight hugs and tells me when it is enough.  He asks for his chewy when he needs it and reminds me to bring it with us if we go out.  I am trying to focus on what I can do for him instead of what I can't do for him.  I am trying to remember that this is but a moment in time and as all moments do, it will pass.  I am really hoping that it passes quickly though because it is heartbreaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment