Thursday, August 29, 2013

School Open House - Little Man Style

Little Man and I got to go and check out his classroom, meet his teacher, see old friends and drop school supplies this afternoon.  On the way over he was just full of questions about why they call it an open house and who was going to be there and what happens if you are on vacation and can't be there.  Questions.  Questions. Questions.

When we got there he saw a bunch of people and said hello in his tentative and shy way.  We made our way into the school and I asked him to show me where the first grade classes are and he went into a total panic.  "I don't know!  I was in Kindergarten, not 1st grade.  I am not a professional!  YOU are the professional!!"  I wanted to laugh so hard, but it was not the right moment.  So I walked him to where his Kindergarten class was from last year and then said, "Ok, so how do you get to the 1st grade pod from here?"  Now we were in business and he led the way, this time much more confident.  We located the classroom and met his teacher, found his desk, did the scavenger hunt and said hi to new and old friends.  He asked his teacher a ton of questions and I just stood back against the wall and let him find his way.  That was harder than I make it sound.  Then we left the classroom, went back to the front door and practiced finding his classroom to avoid the "I'm not a 1st grade professional panic" on his first day.  After that, we went to visit his Kindergarten teacher who he gave a big hug and told her all about his summer and his new teacher. 

I think this is going to be a great year for him.  His teacher seems kind and he has some good friends in his class.  I am going to hazard a guess and say that in just a few weeks, he will be a 1st grade professional without any issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment