Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Waning Days of Summer

With just a few weeks left in summer we are trying to pack in as much fun and together time as possible.  September is going to bring  some big changes for the family and so I am really trying to enjoy the time we have right now.

We try to go to a park a few times a week, hit up the pool for an extended swim time, bust out the sprinkler and get together with friends for playdates.  Errands are pointless with all three kids in tow so I try to stay focused on the fun and know that there is going to be a lot more time for errands in a few weeks.  Staying in the moment is hard for me. I am a planner.  (no one who knows me was shocked by reading that statement).  We are also working on Peanut's writing skills using handwriting without tears method and Little Man's reading using the Bob Books.  The good news for me is that since both of these things can be done on the ipad, the boys think it is fun and get excited for their one on one time with me.

Little Man will be starting full day Kindergarten in two weeks.  I am nervous and excited for him.  But I am sad for me.  I am going to miss him so much.  I just can't believe that my first born is going to board a bus and go to school, away from me for over 7 hours a day. He is not sad at all about this and is so very excited.  He did confess that he was worried that it was going to be a lot harder than preschool.  So we talked about the kinds of things he would learn: writing his name, reading, learning his numbers and he said "But I already know all of that".  I just smiled and now he says Kindergarten is going to be easy peasy. 

Peanut is going to be going to a new preschool this year.  We have been over to the school a few times dropping off forms and playing on the playground to get him familiar with the surroundings.  He will be going 3 days a week from 9-12.  He will also be attending the GW Speech and Hearing clinic once a week in the afternoon and we will start his speech therapy through the county again twice a week.  As always, I am nervous about how a new situation will go for him.  He always asks me if I will stay with him and I just always tell him that I will be back after he has fun. 

Sweet Pea is going to have to learn how to play and cope without her big brothers around as much.  She is going to be potty trained soon and we are talking about moving her to a big girl bed in the next few months.

I am not great with change (again, no surprises there) so as much as all of these changes are hanging out in the back of my mind as we get ready for school orientations, buying school supplies, meeting with teachers - I really just want to play at the pool and hit up as many parks as we can over the next two weeks.  I want to drink in the moments, even the ones were they are all fighting.  I want to listen to the boys play their games and Sweet Pea try to tag along.  I want to make these last few days of summer last as long as I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment