Thursday, May 2, 2013

Just Breathe

Sweet Pea and Peanut have both been having some difficulty breathing, we aren't sure if it is from seasonal allergies or if there is a virus attacking their respiratory system. 

Last night Sweet Pea was retracting (using her neck muscles to help her breathe) which is a sign that she is not breathing well and may not be getting enough oxygen.  At 1:30 in the morning, my mom gut screaming at me, I loaded her in the car and took her to the hospital.  I am so glad that I did.  She wasn't getting enough oxygen and they moved very quickly to get her oxygen, steroids and breathing treatments.  We were only there for a few hours but when we got home just before 4am her breathing was so much better and she could sleep, I could sleep, Papa Bear could sleep.... well at least until 6:30 when the boys got up. 

I knew it was going to be one of THOSE days.  I had only managed to get about 2 hours of sleep all night and had to find a way to function.  It turns out that coffee, favors and a few tears (mine and Sweet Pea's) and we managed through.  When I started Sweet Pea's first breathing treatment of the morning, holding the mask to her face and trying to distract her from the fact that she had a mask on her face, Peanut needed to poop. Of course he did.  Not 5 minutes before or 7 minutes after. Nope, right then.  So I solicited Little Man's help in holding the mask for Sweet Pea and he sang her a song to distract her while I went to help Peanut.  I am fairly certain I stepped in pee but I didn't stop to check.  Bus stop, preschool drop off, work conference calls....

But a friend offered to take Peanut for the afternoon and another friend offered to pick up Little Man from karate and bring him home for me so that I could actually sleep while Sweet Pea slept.  I didn't count on my next door neighbor using a chainsaw and wood chipper literally outside my bedroom but I got a few minutes of sleep, even more minutes of quiet and the ability to rock Sweet Pea back to bed when she woke up mid-nap which I couldn't have done with the other kids here.  So while it could have been one of THOSE days, it turned out to be not quite as bad as I thought it would be.

I think I might be able to get a few more minutes of sleep now....shhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment