Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Journey vs. The Destination

Ralph Waldo Emerson said that "Life is a journey, not a destination."  Sweet Pea embraces this statement daily.  The boys would probably disagree with him profusely. 

Each morning we leave the house to go to walk to the bus stop.  As soon as we have safely crossed the street the boys go tearing down the sidewalk to the corner, they reach the lamp post declaring winners and losers and rotten eggs.  They only care about the destination.  Sweet Pea might take 20 minutes to make it to the corner, stopping at every crevice, flower or worm or just deciding it would be best to walk backwards for half a block or in a spinny motion until she falls.  She doesn't really care where she is going but she has fun getting there.

Today after taking Little Man to the bus and Peanut to camp and running a few errands we found ourselves with some time to play.  I asked her if she wanted to walk to the park and she was giddy with glee to go.  So we walked hand in hand all the way to the park.  As soon as we got to the bottom of the very big hill where the park sits she says, "I have to go pee pee."  Seriously?  So I ask her if she wants to walk home.  "Yes, let's go home!"  So we climb the very large hill and walk back down the street to the house.  She uses the bathroom and then says she wants grapes. So I clean some grapes, but them in a bowl and grab myself an apple and a piece of cheese.  "Let's go the park"  So we walk back down the street, passing our elderly neighbors who must think we are crazy and climb back down the large hill.  We get to the bottom and Sweet Pea says, "I want an apple."  Seriously?  I ask her if she wants to go home and get an apple and she dances in place saying 'Yes, let's go home and get an apple!"  So we climb back up the hill, walk down the street and I clean and peel her an apple.  "Let's go to the park!"  Seriously? 

So I turned on the the TV, told her to sit and eat her apple while I sat down for a bit.  I enjoy a good journey, but at that point I was just keen on the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment