Saturday, June 15, 2013

Time Trials

We wanted Little Man to participate a little more this swim season and to encourage him we decided to have him swim at time trials.  This does a few things.  It gave him the experience of a swim meet without the pressure of actually swimming against people.  It gave him a baseline time for his events so that he can see his improvement over the swim season.  And most importantly, it gave him the confidence to know that he really could do it just like the big kids. 

So at 7:45 this morning we arrived at the pool for warm up laps and since they have the 6 and under boys go first, he swam his first event by 8:30 and his second event by 9:30.  The entire ride to the pool he peppered me with tons of questions because he likes to talk through his anxiety.  I get it, I totally get it.  I feel for my boy because I have a ton of anxiety that I cope with on a daily basis and I love that he talks through his instead of keeping it inside.  Anyway, I had no answers for him and was secretly very anxious myself.  Once we got there he was taken under the very capable wings of his coaches who talked him through everything. 

He did awesome and hopefully we will find out his times this week so that he knows what time he wants to improve on in his first swim meet in a few weeks.  The best part is that is doubled his swim confidence and he has decided all on his own that he should move up a lane if the coaches suggest it again and he took the swim test at the pool so that he can swim in the deep end and go off the diving board.  The only down side is that he is going to give me a heart attack because I caught him doing forward flips off of the diving board with his new found confidence. 

On our way home from time trials, Little Man told me that he knew I was proud of him just for trying new things and doing his best.  He was quiet for a few minutes and then he told me that he loved me so much because I taught him that doing his best was all it took to make me proud.  My sweet, sensitive Little Man - he has no idea how proud I am of him. 

Patiently waiting for 25 meter backstroke to start

* I will post videos of his events later

No comments:

Post a Comment