Monday, March 22, 2010

3 is the new 2...Didn't you hear?

Terrible Two's - I thought I had escaped by my authentic and advanced parenting. (that was sarcastic) As Little Man's second year draws to a close I began to pat myself on the back (and Papa Bear too, of course). And then we had The Incident. And I learned the truth. 3 is the new 2 and that is not a good thing.

This morning while playing in the playroom, Little Man dumped out ALL of his toy bins. I told him that he wouldn't be allowed upstairs until he cleaned it up. I don't think he believed me. He. Does. Now. For 45 minutes he cried, begged, bargained, and guilted me while refusing to pick up his toys. I don't know what finally made him believe me, but all of a sudden he started picking them all up, put the bins away and announced "Mama, I am all done cleaning up". And then on the way upstairs he found a toy he missed and quickly put it where it belonged. Then he looked up at me with his beautiful eyes and said "Mama, I am sad at you". I smiled and said, "I know you are, but I am proud of you for picking up your toys and next time I hope you make a better choice." (I was really proud of my response because I was taking the high road after a really long battle of wills that totally drained me....well I was proud for about 5 seconds) He said "Mama, maybe next time you will make a better choice and not make me sad at you". Really? Really?

Oh and lucky us, Peanut is going break the mold and make a running for the terrible 1's!! He throws no less than 4 fits a day whenever I don't let him call 911 or Mee-Mom on the phone, steal my waterbottle, turn on the tv by eating the remote or pulling out all of the wires from the printer. And I am talking leg kicking, body throwing all out wailing fit. Really? Really?

So it is late, I should be sleeping and not posting but Papa Bear (with my supervision) has been assembling Peanut's birthday gift for 2 1/2 hours and I feel that I owe him my support even if it is just in laughing at him while the cozy coupe confounds him at every turn.

So here comes a year of Tantrum One's and the New Terrible Three's. Bring it on because at least it won't be boring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment