Sunday, March 7, 2010

Germs Vs. Mess

Papa Bear is a mess-a-phobe and I am a germ-a-phobe. These two phobias (real or perceived as they may be) can be confused with one another. Let me explain the difference.

I carry lysol in my diaper bag as well as insist on hand washing when we get home, before meals and have been known to open my door with hand sanitizer in hand to ensure too many germs don't get in the house. I don't touch door knobs in bathrooms if I can help it and wipe down grocery carts before allowing my kids in them. I get made fun of for this and I know some bacteria is good yadda yadda yadda.

Papa Bear don't like clothes to get dirty, hands to get sticky and so he has a hard time letting the kids feed themselves, play in the mud. He would wipe Little Man's hand each time he got some food on it and won't put the kids in their clothes for the day until after breakfast because he doesn't want their clothes to be dirty.

We each have our little idiosyncrasies and they have their affect on our kids. Little Man asks for a wipe to wipe down carts before he will get in it and washes his hands during dinner no less than 3 or 4 times when they get messy. But as with second kids, we all lighten up a little and that means a few more colds and a lot more mess!

Peanut is self feeding all the way these days. He either grabs big handfuls of the food and shoves it in his mouth or makes attempts with the spoon. The result is food in his hair, diaper and occasionally his mouth. I am so proud of my Peanut to see him so enthusiastically diving into his food and I am so so proud of Papa Bear for letting it happen. He is relinquishing some of his mess control and it is paying off in skills for Peanut. I am trying to follow his example and not be so crazy when it comes to germs, the jury is still out on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment