Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Little Man Starts Pre-K


Our little 4 1/2 year old started Pre-K today.  He was so excited for school that he was ready with his shoes on at 7:30 and we don't leave for school until 8:45.  He carried his school bag around all morning and asked every 5 minutes if it was time to go.  We talked about all of the friends he was going to get to see and we talked about making new friends too.  I tried to talk to him about inviting other people to play with him and his friends especially the new kids to the class.  He promised that he would invite them to play with him but told me they would probably just say no until they saw how fun he really is.  (He sheepishly told me later that he forgot to invite new friends to play with him because he was so excited but that he would for sure remember tomorrow).  When I dropped him off Peanut gave him a huge hug and said goodbye, he gave me a kiss and he was off.  It was so different than his drop off two years ago and as I drove away I realized how much has changed and how much he has grown up.  I cried.  I admit it.  I cried because I am just not ready for him to grow up and even though it is only 3 hours a day, it is still 5 days a week and that is just a lot.  I didn't get much out of him after I picked him up.  Something about a big dinosaur that he got to play with and cupcakes for a birthday and not getting to go the activity room because the 2 year olds were getting tired.  The main part that I got was that he loved it and he can't wait to go back tomorrow. I don't think you can ask for anything more from a teacher and a school than to help your child love to learn.  When we got home and I got the little ones down for their nap, Little Man I got to spend some time together.  We read a huge pile of books, did some sounding out of words, made dinner and I pilfered a Christmas present I had bought for a fun art activity.  As cliche as it is, I still can't believe my baby is already in Pre-K.  Peanut starts the 2 year old classroom on Thursday.  You will find me crying in the parking lot but I can only hope that he loves school as much as Little Man.

(This is Peanut trying to put his leg up on the wall in a pose just like his big brother's picture above.  Boy cracks me up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment