Friday, October 19, 2012

Peanut Ramblings...

"Mama, we are going on adventure. Adventure looks like a shark with big scary teeth. But we are not going to see a shark.  Sorry Mama, I have to go.  I have to go get medicine.  This says people are sick and need medicine.  I am a doctor.  You are a doctor too.  We are going to go and get medicine.  That is what this says.  We are going to go on adventure with pirates.  Or a rain adventure.  We can go on a rain adventure or a pirate adventure.  Pirates are my friends.  I don't like pirates.  They have stinky feet but they are still my friends.  But I don't like them.  In two minutes the pumpkin patch is going to open and we will go to the to the to the PUMPKIN PATCH!!  Good night Mama"

This is the rambling one way conversation that Peanut had with me as I was giving him good night hugs and ushering him into his bed.  I never said a word.  There are times when I breathe in each and every word that comes out of his mouth like life saving oxygen.  I don't have the heart or desire to interrupt that flow of words that pour out of him even if they don't make a lot of sense.  I gaze into his bright eyes and expressive face totally enraptured with every nuance of his verbalized thought process.  There will always be a part of my heart that remembers what it felt like the exact moment I was told that Peanut might not ever be able to talk intelligibly, the sinking, heartbreaking feeling of that moment will never be forgotten.  But it is just a memory that allows be to be so appreciative of each and every word about pirates with stinky feet that are his friends.

So tomorrow we are either going to the pumpkin patch or on an adventure with stinky pirates that ride sharks in the rain.  Never a dull moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment