Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ornithology or ABC's??

I try not to be the mom that compares her children with other children, at least not in the oh my son is better than yours kind of way.  And what helps me achieve this (other than God's grace) is the fact that Little Man follows the beat of his own drum.  My friends kid's are starting to count to ten and identify their letters.  And while I work with him on his numbers and letters, his interests lie elsewhere.  Ornithology is his thing.  Yes, that is right, I did say that my 2 year old is a amateur ornithologist.  He can currently identify a cardinal, sparrow, mourning dove, tufted titmouse, woodpecker, robin, owl, and chickadee.  In addition to being able to identify these birds when he sees them in our backyard he can also tell you what some of their calls are.  (Robin's say Tut Tut Tut).  And not to continue with my bragging, but I will - he is also an expert squirrel chaser awayer. (yes, I know that is not a word but I am talking about a 2 year old after all)  So this saves me from having to say at the playground, "How many birds can your child identify" and be that awful comparison bragging mom that I don't want to be because let's face it, they would just look at me like I am crazy.  So they tell me about how high their child counts (although, I should mention Little Man can count to 5 in Spanish, wait am I bragging?) or how many letters they know and I quietly smile and tell them how great that is and know that my Little Man has his own interests and loves to watch the birds and learn all of their names and calls.  He follows his own drum and it is so wonderful to be a spectator and participant in his awesome and amazing world.

3 comments:

  1. Wait. Do other mom's really tell you how high their child can count to, etc.?! That seems kind of funny...

    And how sweet that Little Man loves the birds--and knows so much about them--already he totally has me beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The playground comparison starts at birth, some mom's just like to know what other kids are doing to know if their kid is in the "norm", but most want to show off, brag or otherwise compare IQ scores of their 2 year olds. I have even caught one mom lying about accomplishments. I have promised myself I will never be that mom!

    Oh and he totally has me beat too, I have to refer to the books to see what type of bird it is. It is also a really fun activity to do with him because he actually sits still for a few minutes on my lap (or my mom's lap) to watch the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing that he has the patience to sit still and watch the birds at this age;-)

    ReplyDelete